3 Ways To Avoid Conflict During Child Custody Exchanges

Posted on: 7 June 2017

After a custody battle, it can sometimes be challenging for parents to remain civil during child custody exchanges. If you and your former partner are having difficulties with exchanges, here are some tips to help make the process easier for everyone involved.  

Choose a Third Party to Be Present 

You and your former partner are more likely to be on your best behavior if there is another person present. The person can eliminate the need for interactions between you and the other parent. He or she can receive the child and pass him or her to the other parent.  

If you and your former partner are planning to use a third party, it is important that someone who is considered to be neutral be selected. He or she has to be neutral because if there are any issues during the exchange that requires an intervention by the family court, the third party might have to testify has to what occurred.  

Install Security Cameras 

If the other parent is unwilling to use a third party for the child custody exchanges, then install security cameras at your home. The security cameras can serve as a impartial witness to what happens during the exchanges. If you have to return to court about issues you are having with the other parent, you can provide the security footage to the judge.  

When choosing security cameras, make sure they have audio capabilities. You also need to ensure that they have night vision if the exchanges sometimes happen at night and includes the ability to record video. To protect your video, look for a camera that allows the video to be uploaded to an online storage service immediately after it is recorded.  

Be Flexible 

One of the ways you and the other parent can stay out of court over custody exchanges is to try to be flexible with one another. Inflexibility about the exchange times, meeting places, and other factors that can impact the exchanges could lead to a flare up of anger between both of you.  

Remember to be considerate of the other parent's time by being on time for exchanges. If you are unable to, call ahead and let him or her know. You should also try to be considerate if the other parent is running late to exchanges.  

If you and the other parent continue to have problems during the exchanges, talk to a family lawyer at firms like Campbell, Dille, Barnett & Smith, P.L.L.C. It might be necessary to go back to the family court to get help with making the exchanges smoother.